Sunday, 25 October 2020

KhabarExpress.com : Local To Global News
  10695 view   Add Comment

FIFA bribery scandal: IOC to investigate, CAF refutes claim

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Tuesday said they would investigate claims that a FIFA vice president, who is also a member of the IOC had received a bribe.

Berlin, Dec 1 (DPA) The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Tuesday said they would investigate claims that a FIFA vice president, who is also a member of the IOC had received a bribe.

The BBC Monday claimed that three FIFA executive members, including the president of the African Football Confederation (CAF) Issa Hayatou had been bribed by a Swiss-based marketing company, ISL, which later went bankrupt.

The IOC said in a statement that they would investigate the claims. 'The IOC has a zero policy towards corruption and will hand the matter over to it's ethics committee.'

The BBC said that that Hayatou member had received some 100,000 French francs ($20,000) in 1995.

In a statement issued Tuesday CAF however refuted the allegations and said the money had been a donation.

'The BBC in one of its programme 'Panorama', gave information concerning among others, CAF and its President, M. Issa Hayatou,' CAF said.

'The context within which this information was broadcasted does not reflect the truth of what happened. The allegations talk of an amount of 100,000 French Francs, equivalent of 25,000 Swiss Franc, which is alleged to have been transferred by ISL to Mr.Hayatous account in 1995.

'The amount refers to a donation by ISL to its partner CAF, on the occasion of preparations marking its 40 years celebrations,' the statement said.

The organisation added that its executive committee were aware of the said donation and gave their approval.

'The transaction dates back to more than 15 years ago and has nothing to do with the designation of candidates hosting the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups,' they said.

Two other FIFA executive members named in the programme, Brazilian Ricardo Teixeira and the president of the South American confederation Nicolas Leoz dismissed the allegations through their spokesmen.

FIFA, meanwhile, said they would not open an investigation surrounding the allegations and that they related to events that date back many years.

'They were investigated by the relevant authorities in Switzerland.

'In its verdict of 26 June 2008, the Criminal Court of Zug had not convicted any FIFA Officials. It is therefore important to stress again the fact that no FIFA officials were accused of any criminal offence in these proceedings.

'Furthermore, it is important to recall that the decision was made on matters which took place prior to the year 2000 and there has been no court conviction against FIFA. The investigation and the case are definitely closed,' FIFA said in a statement.

Tag

Share this news

Post your comment